As promised, here's my must-have gear for running a race!
1. Good sports bra. I'm not brand specific but I do like mine to be made of moisture (aka sweat) wicking fabric.
2. Running socks-yes, running socks make a difference! Once you try them you will never go back, I promise. I have mix of Thorlo, Wigwam and Balga. They have extra cushioning in the toes/heels and compression around the mid-foot. Good stuff!
3. Running shoes. I highly, highly, highly recommend getting fitted for running shoes at a reputable store. They will watch the way you walk/run and recommend shoes for you. Are you an over or under pronator? They will be able to tell you! Then you try a few pairs on and go for a quick test run (inside or out, depending on the store) to make sure they will work.
4. Running capris. No shorts here, I like a little more coverage when I run. I do like compression capris which fit snugly and give support to my legs/knees. And pockets are nice for keys, energy, etc.
5. Cliff Blocks. I'm not a huge fan of running goo but these I love. Most races give goo so I carry my own blocks (hence the pockets in the capris)
6. iPod. Music is a great motivator. I use the Nike + system to track my distance and pacing through the iPod. I like the iPod nano because it's small and light. C runs with his iPhone but I feel unbalanced and weighed down with it.
7. Watch/Heart Rate Monitor. Know your zone and where you need to be. Tracking heart rate is a great way to listen to your body.
6. Sunglasses. I borrowed C's Oakley's for race day.
9. Layers. I wasn't sure what race day would bring so I picked out a few layers ahead of time. I ended up wearing the black Dry-Fit tshirt (10) and a zip up long sleeved jacket before the race and handed my jacket to C right before the start so I didn't have to tie it around my waist once I was warmed up.
Quick note about race day clothes: NEVER wear anything new! Always take your gear out for a few test runs to make sure that there aren't any performance or comfort issues. I have a friend who wore new shorts for a marathon and now has a permanent scar from the tag rubbing her back.
And of course, not numbered, but my race bib ready to be pinned to my shirt.
What are some of your must-haves?