Saturday, April 14, 2012

Quinoa pancakes

For my birthday, I took the day off of work and enjoyed a wonderful day shopping, lunch and at the spa with my Mom (such a nice birthday treat!).  Since I had a little extra time, I decided to whip up some quinoa pancakes and they were delicious!  I topped mine with Sunflower butter, fresh strawberries and a touch of homemade honey whipped cream (it was my birthday, after all).  I found the original recipe at My Life Runs on Food but I did make a few changes:  

Ingredients:
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 TBSP baking powder
1/4 TSP salt
1 TBSP honey
1 egg
1 TSP vanilla extract
1 TSP cinnamon
1/2 cup cooked quinoa
1 cup milk 
1/2 cup blueberries (optional)
Olive oil for greasing skillet 

Directions:
Preheat skillet to medium heat and add olive oil.  
In large bowl, mix dry ingredients (flour, salt, baking powder, cinnamon) in bowl and set aside.  
In a seperate bowl, whisk together honey, egg, milk and vanilla.  
Add liquid ingredients, quinoa and blueberries into dry mixture.  Don't over mix, batter will have lumps (this gives fluffy pancakes).
Spoon 1/4 cup batter into skillet.  when bubbles appear in the surface, flip.  When both sides are golden brown, remove and enjoy!  

We found these pancakes to be surprisingly light and fluffy.  Chris couldn't even tell the quinoa was there.  They were really satisfying and left me full until lunch!

No comments: