|2007, Columbus Marathon Finisher|
|2011, Columbus Marathon (C) and 1/2 Marathon (S)|
1. Stress relief. Nothing like a great run/bike ride/swim or workout class to bust some stress! My schedule can get pretty busy and that makes me stressed. When that happens, I try to make sure I'm getting at least 4 workouts a week to keep me balanced and sane. Those endorphin's always make me feel better afterwards.
2. Time to think. Most of the time, I run alone. Sometimes C or a friend join me but it's hard to find people who want to get up and be running before 6am. I spend my running time thinking, praying, meditating, being thankful and planning my day. Needless to say, I don't get bored even though I usually run the same routes.
3. Being unplugged. Working out is one of the few times that I don't have my phone and am not accessible...and I love it! I check my emails first thing in the morning and the last thing before I climb into bed. Don't get me wrong, I love my iPhone/computer/iPad and my job but sometimes it's nice to not be available.
4. Being able to eat. If you read this blog, then you know we love food and I love to cook. Working out allows me to do more of both! I try to cook healthy, nutritious meals but I've inherited a deep love of chocolate from my mother (must have it every day) and working out allows me to enjoy dessert without feeling guilty.
5. Health benefits. I've got great cholesterol, blood pressure and energy levels from consistently working out (I'm aware that genetics play a part as well). And I rarely have issues sleeping, like I'm out the minute my head hits the pillow...ask my husband.
I believe in a balanced approach to working out and keep my workouts mixed up so I don't get bored. When I feel like I'm in a rut, I try something new or sign up for a race so I have a goal. Here are few of my current favorites:
Spinning-1 time per week
Running (obviously)-4 times per week
Body Pump class (I need someone to force me to lift weights)-2 times per week
Hot Yoga-1 time per week
Walking the dogs-daily
Bike rides with C-weekends when the weather is nice
What are some of your favorite workouts? What motivates you to lace up the sneakers?