Sunday, June 9, 2013

Asian Coleslaw (Ramen Noodle Salad)

When I'm looking for a quick, summery side dish I always think of this salad.  We love the crunchy texture and the flavor combo!  I can (and do) eat it right out of the serving bowl if I'm really hungry.  I recently had a friend request the recipe so here it is:

In a large salad bowl, combine:

1 package shredded cabbage/coleslaw mix
1 package of ramen noodles, broken into small pieces (I use chicken flavored)
1/2 cup sliced almonds, toasted
1 Tablespoon toasted sesame seeds
1-2 Tablespoons green onions/chives, chopped

To make the dressing, whisk to combine:

1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 Tablespoons white vinegar
2 Tablespoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 flavor packet from ramen noodles

Pour dressing over salad and toss to incorporate.  Salad will wilt down after 1/2 hour or so.  I try to make it an hour or two ahead of time to allow time for the flavors to meld but not too far in advance because the ramen will soften.  Enjoy!

What are some of your favorite summer dishes?
     

No comments: