Friday, January 4, 2013

2013-Balance

Inspired by my friend Heather and her one word of 2013 (Alive), I've decided to join 365's One Word for 2013.  

When I look back on 2012, the word "change" comes to mind.  As I was brushing my teeth this morning I was thinking of a word that will describe our 2013 (as I said, I like to set intentions) and I think the word is "balance".  According to dictionary.com here are a few definitions of balance:

bal·ance

  [bal-uh ns]  Show IPA noun, verb, bal·anced, bal·anc·ing.
noun
1.
a state of equilibrium or equipoise; equal distribution of weightamount, etc.
2.
something used to produce equilibrium; counterpoise.
3.
mental steadiness or emotional stability; habit of calm behavior, judgment, etc.
4.
a state of bodily equilibrium: He lost his balance and fell down the stairs.


 Here are a few ways I'm hoping to achieve balance over the next year:

  • my new role of mother with my existing roles of wife, territory manager, runner, blogger, etc. 
  • in fitness, a mix of cardio (running and spinning) with yoga and strength training
  • enjoying the BIG and small moments in life
  • being present
  • healthy, whole foods and chocolate 
  • getting tasks accomplished and getting rest
I tend to get focused on the next item on the "to-do" list (and I have many) and want to truly focus on balance, being present and enjoying our little one's first year while being the best me in 2013.

I recently read "The Happiness Project" and there are so many great ideas and I just joined the 21 day relationship challenge.  I like that the author, Gretchen Rubin, focuses on small, manageable changes to make an overall impact on her life over the course of a year.   

How do you create balance in life?  Do you focus on large or small changes?    


No comments: