When I look back on 2012, the word "change" comes to mind. As I was brushing my teeth this morning I was thinking of a word that will describe our 2013 (as I said, I like to set intentions) and I think the word is "balance". According to dictionary.com here are a few definitions of balance:
bal·ance[bal-uh ns] Show IPA noun, verb, bal·anced, bal·anc·ing.
a state of equilibrium or equipoise; equal distribution of weight, amount, etc.
something used to produce equilibrium; counterpoise.
mental steadiness or emotional stability; habit of calm behavior, judgment, etc.
Here are a few ways I'm hoping to achieve balance over the next year:
- my new role of mother with my existing roles of wife, territory manager, runner, blogger, etc.
- in fitness, a mix of cardio (running and spinning) with yoga and strength training
- enjoying the BIG and small moments in life
- being present
- healthy, whole foods and chocolate
- getting tasks accomplished and getting rest
I tend to get focused on the next item on the "to-do" list (and I have many) and want to truly focus on balance, being present and enjoying our little one's first year while being the best me in 2013.
I recently read "The Happiness Project" and there are so many great ideas and I just joined the 21 day relationship challenge. I like that the author, Gretchen Rubin, focuses on small, manageable changes to make an overall impact on her life over the course of a year.
How do you create balance in life? Do you focus on large or small changes?