Monday, December 24, 2012

Sugar, Sugar (cookies)

One of my family traditions is cut out sugar cookies.  We celebrate Christmas on Christmas Eve and one of the things we do together is decorate cookies together.  This year I'm bringing the dough and we'll bake and frost at my parent's house.  We've used the same recipe for years and they always turn out great!  I thought I would share:

 Ingredients:
1 cup butter, room temperature
1 1/2 cups sugar
3 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
3 1/2 cups flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 1/4 tsp salt

Directions:
Cream butter, sugar, eggs and vanilla together.  Sift flour with the baking powder and salt and then slowly add to wet ingredients and mix well.  Chill dough several hours/over night.  Roll out (using flour) and cut out with cookie cutters.  Place on baking sheet at bake at 375F for 6-8 minutes, depending on size.  Watch edges as cookies easily brown.  If the edges are browned, remove from oven.

Note, I used parchment paper to prevent sticking to the cookie sheet.

Once cookies cool, frost/decorate!

Glaze:  I glazed the cookies in the photo with an easy glaze of powdered sugar, cream, vanilla and food coloring.  I started with 2 cups powdered sugar and added 2 T cream and a splash of vanilla (1/4 teaspoon) to start, mixing well.  I wanted a thick glaze that would stay on the cookie.  Keep adding cream or powdered sugar until you get to the desired consistency.  Once they were glazed, I let the cookies sit out overnight to harden.

No comments: