Sunday, December 23, 2012

Dark Chocolate Sea Salted Toffee

After we were married, C's Mom gifted me with an awesome book, a homemade book of all of the family's favorite Christmas cookie and candy recipes!  When I was planning my holiday baking this year, I asked C what he wanted me to make and his answers didn't surprise me: Chocolate Peanut Butter Buckeyes and Toffee.  I also wanted to make some cut-out frosted sugar cookies and peanut butter cookies so I had a very short list this year...thankfully as we don't need all the sweet treats and I certainly won't be running off the extra calories for another couple of months.  We give most of my baking away, either to neighbors or work clients or colleagues so we don't have too much of it floating around but it wouldn't be the holidays without some of the good stuff!     

My holiday cookie Bible!
 I decided to make a few changes to the already delicious Toffee recipe and it turned out fantastic so I thought I would share:


Ingredients:
1 cup butter
1 1/4 cups sugar
2 T corn syrup
2 T water
1 cup almonds, slivered and toasted
1-2 cups DARK chocolate chips (I used Ghiradelli 60% Cacao Bittersweet Chocolate)
Course sea salt

Directions:
Line a 15x10x1in pan with foil, evenly sprinkle almonds on bottom of pan and set to the side.  In a heavy saucepan (with candy thermometer attached-very important!) combine butter, sugar, corn syrup and water on medium to medium high heat.  Stir mixture constantly until it boils.  Continue to cook (and stir) until 300F on candy thermometer.  Remove from heat and pour mixture over almonds until even.  Sprinkle chocolate over brittle and let stand until shiny.  Smooth with a spatula and top sprinkle with sea salt (personal preference on how much to add).  Let cool and refrigerate for 1 hour.  Store at room temperature in a sealed  container (don't store with any other treats as the moisture content of cookies will make the toffee soft and sticky) and enjoy! 

No comments: