As promised, here is my friend Lea's Ham and Corn Chowder recipe. I'm going to post this one 2 ways: her original (super delicious and fast) recipe and my edited recipe (less canned ingredients because I used what we had on hand, less dairy).
Ham and Corn Chowder (Lea's version)
1 package baked ham, diced
1 can sweet kernel corn, rinsed and drained
1 can cream corn
1 small onion, chopped
2 cans diced potatoes, rinsed and drained
6 cups milk or cream
1 bag shredded cheese, 2 cups
2 T. flour
salt and pepper
Ham and Corn Chowder (Sonya's version):
1 T. olive oil
2 T. whole wheat flour
1/2 lb deli ham (we used black forest)
2 cups frozen corn, thawed-puree 1 cup and leave the other in kernel form
1 onion, chopped
2 potatoes, diced
1-2 cups chicken stock
2-3 cups fat free milk
1 cup sharp cheddar cheese
salt and pepper to taste
Directions are the same for each version:
- Saute ham and onion in butter (or olive oil) on medium heat until brown.
- Stir in 2 T. flour to thicken.
- Stir in corns and potatoes.
- Add liquids (broth and milk or milk/cream).
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Reduce to low heat.
- Add cheese and stir until melted.