Tuesday, November 13, 2012

City Living???

My happy, wiggly morning walker.  She gets
so excited for her walk she can't stand still,
hence the blurry photo!
Our neighborhood backs right up to both a railroad track and a park which makes for a lot of wildlife sightings in the city!  I think I've seen more deer (with nice racks, for all you hunters) in the 4 months that we've lived her than my 18 years growing up in the country.  We also have an abundance of squirrels, chipmunks and rabbits to torment Max and Lila in the back yard.  For the first couple of months we had a giant raccoon that liked to dig around in our trash cans until Chris bought a more secure can...this guy was huge, like 20-25lbs, and bigger than both the dogs!  I was concerned the raccoon would get trapped in the garage and attack but thankfully, we haven't seen him in a while.  But of all the wildlife we've seen, yesterday morning while walking Lila, was my most terrifying experience.  Lila and I usually head out around 6:30-6:45am for our morning walk, covering between 2-3 miles and expending some of her energy and getting some much needed exercise for myself.  She loves these morning walks and enjoys sniffing around and chasing cats and squirrels as far as her leash will let her (Max, on the other hand, is still in bed and has no desire to get up to join us).  So Lila's doing her thing and sniffing around when she goes after what I think is a cat in someone's shrubbery.  Let's just say this black and while creature was the size of a cat but certainly wasn't a friendly feline, that's right...she went after a SKUNK!  The skunk was startled and scurried up the driveway and I yanked Lila's retractable leash to pull her back toward the street.  Thankfully, we escaped unharmed (or un-sprayed in this case).       

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love how Max is still in bed while you and Lila start the day bright eyed and bushy tailed...just like the skunk :)