Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Meal Planning after a week or weekend away

I know I owe you all a vacation post or two....and it's coming!  Just a quick pop in to offer some suggestions on meal planning after being gone.  If you are like us, we try to leave our fridge as bare as possible because I hate wasting food.

1. It's a great time to take advantage of all those items in the freezer!  We usually have a few meals prepped in the freezer that I can pull out for a quick defrost or pop in the oven.  Or at the very least, some frozen chicken breast or meat and veggies waiting to be turned into a quick dinner.

2. Ditto for the pantry.  I always have soup ingredients on hand for a fast, delicious and healthy dinner.

3. Make a quick run out for the essentials.  When we got back from California, it was 10pm so I wasn't up for a trip to the store but the next day I headed out for milk, eggs, coffee creamer, lunch meat and fresh produce.  Not tons but just enough to get us by.

4. Ideally, meal plan BEFORE you go and fill the freezer with meals.  This didn't happen for us but maybe next time away :)

So what are we having this week?  Well, Chris is trying to limit is carb intake so I'm trying to be supportive (really hard when most of my pregnancy foods involve the starchy stuff)!

Monday-Grilled chicken breast and kale and sweet potato chips
Tuesday-Mexican chicken and rice soup (pulled from the freezer)
Wednesday- Ground beef chili
Thursday-left overs
Friday-Corn and Shrimp Chowder

No comments: