Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Spinach Lasagna-Recipe

I had a request for our spinach recipe so here it is...I usually just throw it together so here it is as best as I can remember.  It's a great way to sneak in some veggies into your pasta.  I made it earlier in the week and I'm bake it tomorrow before heading to class, you know, so C doesn't starve while I'm gone :)

Ingredients:
1 24oz jar marinara sauce (I like to use home-made jarred sauce but your favorite will do)
1 box lasagna noodles-whole wheat
1 10oz  bag frozen spinach, thawed and drained (or not...depending on how much time I have)
3 stalks Kale, de-veined, washed and torn into bite-sized pieces 
1 onion-diced
2 cloves garlic-diced
1 lb spicy Italian sausage-bulk
8 oz mozzarella cheese
Parmesan cheese-freshly grated
     
Directions:

1. Cook lasagna noodles according to package directions, in salted water.  Drain and let cool until ready to use.

2. Meanwhile, in pan brown sausage, onions and garlic.  Break up sausage into small pieces with fork while cooking.  A few minutes before sausage is done, add spinach and kale.  Drain any liquid and let cool.

3. In a deep dish, starting with sauce, layer the noodles, sausage and spinach mixture, and cheese.  Repeating until get to the top layer, ending with cheese (mozzarella and then Parmesan).

4. Bake in oven for an hour at 350 degrees, or until cheese is browned and edges are bubbly.  Let cool for 10 minutes before serving.  Enjoy!

Note- I usually double and make two, one for dinner and one for the freezer to save time later.     

No comments: