Saturday, October 1, 2011

Crock Pot Chicken Burritos

We use the crock pot about once a week here when I'm in classes, it's so nice to come home to dinner that's basically made itself.  I found a recipe last week that was super simple and had to give it a try.  I'll tell you what I added but I think the recipe can be made with whatever you've got on hand and will still be delicious.

I started by adding diced banana peppers (3) and green peppers (2) from our garden, frozen chicken breast (4), salsa (1 quart) that my parents and I canned last year, and a diced onion (1) to the crock pot around 7:30am on low: 

 And it looked like this:


And around noon we added frozen corn (2 cups), black beans (2 cans), precooked rice (1 cup that I had in the freezer):


Around 5pm, I pulled out the chicken breast and shredded them and then tossed them back in.  Then I seasoned to taste with salt, pepper and a dash of chili powder and cumin.  We decided it looked like an awesome nacho topping so that's what we had for dinner, yum! 


This "recipe" made A LOT of filling so we also had it in wraps this week and I've got a couple of pans of burritos in the freezer for future meals.  Let me know if you come up with any tasty alternatives and enjoy!


No comments: