Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Butternut Squash Risotto

A few weeks ago, Chris and I had dinner out at one of our local favorites, Marcella's, to celebrate his sister Brittany's birthday.  We both ordered a variety of risotto and mine was better (really it was, we both agreed.)  So as I was out on my 11 mile run yesterday (1/2 marathon in less than 2 weeks!) I kept thinking about the butternut squash risotto I ordered and decided to try making it at home.  I found a recipe online and here is my slightly edited version:

2 cups cubed butternut squash (peel squash to start)
2 tablespoons butter
1/2 onion, minced
1 cup  rice
4 cups hot chicken stock
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
Salt and ground black pepper to taste
Place squash cubes into a saucepan. Add water, cover, and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Boil until tender, then drain, and mash in a bowl with a fork.

 
 
Melt butter in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion; cook and stir for 2 minutes until the onion begins to soften, then stir in the rice.
 
 

Continue cooking and stirring until the rice is glossy from the butter, and the onion begins to brown on the edges, about 5 minutes more.

Pour in 1/3 cup stock (the recipe called for white wine, we didn't have any); cook, stirring constantly, until it has evaporated. 


  
Stir in the mashed squash and 1/3 of the hot chicken stock; reduce heat to medium. Cook and stir until the chicken stock has been absorbed by the rice, 5 to 7 minutes. 


Add half of the remaining chicken stock, and continue stirring until it has been absorbed. Finally, pour in the remaining stock, and continue stirring until the risotto is creamy (and I apologize poor photo quality, I know but there was steam).


Finish by stirring in the Parmesan cheese, and seasoning to taste with salt and pepper.  


We served the risotto with Tilapia fillets:

 Risotto isn't nearly as scary to make as I thought it was  I will be on the lookout for more variations in the future.  Let me know if you have any recipes to try!

2 comments:

connie burkett michael said...

Sonya: If you like rissotto you will love orzo. Its about the same, except orzo is actually a small pasta. I loooovvee it. You can eat the orzo cold by cooking it and adding olive oil, garlic, tomatoes, onion, olives. Many recipes out there,, but it is actually very good hot.When my brother Ric comes to visit, we always make something new.we have made a mushroom one, another with parm cheese, and added asparigus ( i know spelling) in it. Try it out sometime and let me know. Thanks for the great recipes. I looooove your blogs.
Have a great weekend.

Unknown said...

Thanks for the suggestion Connie :) We have never tried orzo but I will pick some up the next time I'm grocery shopping! Hope you all are well and thanks for the kind words!