Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Sewing Machines...

Chris is very generously giving me a sewing machine for my birthday (in part so I can make curtains for our apartment) and I’m having a tough time deciding how many “extras” that I need. Most of my projects are household related: curtains, pillows, quilts, ect. I’m fairly certain that I want a Bernina but beyond that I’m not sure. Does anyone have any advice? New or used, does it matter? I’m currently looking at the Bernina Activa 240 but it is a little more than we want to spend. Any suggestions?

3 comments:

Tanna said...

I have a Bernina Activa 210 and LOVE it. Not sure if the additional stitches are worth the extra money. Where I bought mine, I have the option of trading it in on another model anytime within a year of the purchase date. That is why we started at the bottom. That may be the case with all Bernina purchases. Not sure. You are more than welcome to borrow and try mine out for awhile while you make a decision, if you like.

Unknown said...

Thanks for the advice! The shop that I went to told me I have 5 months to decide to keep it/trade. They are having a sale starting today so Chris and I are going to check it out together tomorrow. Good point about the additional stitches, as cool as they sound not sure if I would use all 100!

Anonymous said...

I wouldn't have anything but a Bernina!! I have had mine since 1975, I believe, and except for general maintainence, MAYBE, 3-4 times I have NEVER had any problems! I have a lot of built in decorative stitches which I seldom use. I love it as much today as the day I got it! It has served me well. I have had it to Mississippi, Crown Point, Indiana, & Advance, N.C. to make curtains, pillows & nursery accessories. Needless to say, I just can't say enough about it!!